Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Sounds of Inspiration


I've just made myself a playlist to listen as I work on my novel. For many people, it is way easier to write while listening to music that lacks vocals (something to do with processing language, but ask your local psychologist to be sure), so my list is mostly instrumental. I wanted stuff with an alien feel, so there's everything from stock French educational film scores of the early 80s to orchestral space pop of the early 60s to experimental electronic weirdness. Here is a list of a few of the albums I drew from, and links to where you can find out more about them. Because, I know people of the future are gonna want to know what G. Arthur Brown was listening to when he wrote The Belange (working title only).



Space Oddities Volumes 1 & 2
The Strange New World of Bernard Fevre
Luke Vibert’s Further Nuggets
Hyman & Mayo’s Space Pop LP “Moon Gas”
Man in Space (with Sounds)
Yu – Songs of Science
Informatic 2000 (Bizarre 80’s French Eletcronic Musique)
Nino Nardini’s “Musique Pour Le Futur”

1 comment:

S. Tigert said...

Well I just HAD to check out "Moon Gas" (which the gal on the LP cover apparently is suffering from). Not sure when I'm gonna write a story featuring gogo dancers with silver pasties and tin-foil accessories, but when I do...:). lol
The other stuff is very 60's 'this is what aliens have playing in their flying saucers'. Fun listen--I'll have to check out the others as time allows.
PS: I will call you soon Mr. Brown!